One of the most common complaints about people these days is backache. In fact, it is one of the leading reasons why people end up missing work. Therefore, it is a good idea to know how this medical issue occurs and how it can be treated. Here are a few details about back pain that you ought to know.
# THE CAUSES OF BACKACHE
Backache can be the result of several lifestyle or health disorders. Here are some of the basic ones:
- Strain: The most common cause of backache is strain. Strained muscles or ligaments can result in pain. Muscle spasms can also be a cause. These issues typically occur when you are trying to lift something heavy or improperly.
- Structural Problems: Structural problems can be another reason for backache. Bulging disks, osteoporosis and ruptured disks can all lead to pain in the back, ranging from mild to severe. Arthritis is another potential cause.
# The Risk Factors
There are several risk factors which increase the possibility of suffering from backache. Here are some of them.
- A sedentary lifestyle such as sitting at a desk most of the day.
- A job that puts a lot of mental pressure.
- Older people are more at risk for developing backache.
- Arduous physical activity, especially if done incorrectly.
- Women are at higher risk of backache compared to men.
- Pregnant women have a higher risk of backache.
# SYMPTOMS FOR BACKACHE
Backache is quite common. In fact, most people have experienced this issue at least once at some point of time or the other. There are various symptoms of backache, some of which are mentioned below.
- Stiffness or pain on a consistent basis along the spine.
- Sharp but localized pain in the upper back, the lower back or the neck. This generally occurs after engaging in arduous activities.
- Inability to maintain a straight posture while standing without suffering from muscle spasms or pain in the lower portion of the back.
- Pain in the back that originates in the lower back and radiates to the buttock region, down the backside of the thigh and calf, culminating in the toes.
# TREATMENT OF BACKACHE
Generally, home treatment is enough for most cases of back pain even if it is acute. When suffering from a backache, you can continue most of your activities normally. In fact, you should do it within tolerable limits. Light activity such as walking is recommended. However, you must avoid those activities that increase the pain. If you need treatment, you can use the suitable option from those given below.
- Medications: If required, you can easily get medicines over the counter to help you overcome the pain. Pain relievers are a popular choice. You may also get certain non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for getting relief from the pain. Although available over the counter, it is advisable to get advice from a doctor before using any of them.
- Topical Pain Relievers: These products are available in the form of ointments or creams that are to be applied at the site of the pain. Rub them in thoroughly or get someone else to do it for you. While you may find relief, they may not be permanent depending on the actual cause of the pain.
- Muscle Relaxants: These are generally used if medications prove to be incapable of overcoming your pain. These products can help your muscles to relax, and also increase feeling of sleepiness and dizziness.
- Surgery: In some cases, the underlying issue may require surgery to be corrected. Only then can you find relief.
Keep the above points in mind when you are suffering from back pain, which can help you to overcome it easily.