Meaning of denture relines
Have you start developing a feeling that your denture, which was previously well fitted has suddenly been uncomfortable or has suddenly changed making the fittings difficult for you. They tend to become loose. Hence, creating enough problems for you. If this is the case with your denture then this is the time when you need a denture reline.
Denture relines are a simple and easy process carried on your denture for fitting it back to your teeth once again just like what you had. Denture relines are so simple that certain denture relines can be done in the office of the dentist itself while some might require going to a lab.
The primary question that arises is why there is a sudden change in your perfectly fitted denture. The answer is that after a tooth is extracted then the area faces resorption, which is rapid in the first few days but after having the denture, it slowly reduces pace. Over time, it becomes necessary to adjust the denture because of the resorption.
The denture relines are mainly of two types
- Soft relines are relines where the relining is done at the office of the dentist. Hence, you would get your denture back in just a few hours. Most of the people prefer this type of denture because they do not take time at all. Hence, avoid the time spent in discomfort without the dentures. There are some disadvantages associated, as well, but they may be termed as a disadvantage depending on the perspective of the person wearing it. The fact that the soft relines do not have a long life, especially when a denture is fixed right after the teeth loss. Hence, it can take the trouble of frequent relines then this can just be the best thing for you.
- Hard relines functions like that of a soft reline. The only difference is that they are more permanent in nature and are made of hard materials. In addition, the only disadvantage is that if you want to use them then you will have to wait for a few days before the denture is prepared in the lab and must go through the discomfort of a few days without the denture.
Indications of denture reline
- One of the primary and basic indications of denture relines is the denture done immediately after around 6 months, which is even before the normal resorption take place.
- Sometimes the gums do not accept well the denture. Hence, due to the adaptation being poor is can be an indication of denture relines. The major cause of poor adaptation lies in the incomplete resorption while it being at pace.
- Another fact is that denture relines are cheap as compared to the price of a new denture, not everyone can afford a new denture. Hence, this is one of the main contributions for the indication of denture relines.
- Another medical fact is that many such patients are there who cannot withstand the stress involved in the process of a new denture both physically and mentally.