Evaporative cooling system follows an old and effective technique for lowering air temperature. The actual scientific process is that when water vaporizes, changing from liquid to gas, it carries heat energy from the surroundings, thus making the environment cooler. Evaporative cooler system recreates this naturally occurring process and allows continuous flow of cool and refreshing air into a hot, uncomfortable environment. During earlier days, evaporative units were referred as “swamp coolers” because the amount of moisture released was high. However, today’s evaporative cooling systems are designed to attain utmost cooling in exchange for minimal moisture content. Evaporative coolers are most efficient and effective in dry climate.
How Does Evaporative Cooling Work:
Evaporative air cooler utilizes evaporation to cool the air. Lower the humidity, better the evaporative cooling effect! The important part of an evaporative cooler system is the media, also called as pad. Media is a kind of material through which air can pass and be cooled via vaporization. In an evaporative cooler, a pump is used to circulate the water from the water source to a cooling pad, which in turn becomes very moist. A separate water distribution unit spreads water over the surface of the cooling pad; this ensures uniform distribution of the water to keep the whole contact surface completely wet. A fan or centrifugal blower budges the air through the cooling pad and makes it enter into the room where it has been installed.
Benefits of Evaporative Cooling System:
There are many different advantages of evaporative cooling system over traditional air conditioners. The following comparison covers some of the important benefits of evaporative coolers:
- They are energy efficient: Evaporative coolers consume much less electrical energy (up to 75%) than conventional air conditioners. This makes a significant difference in energy bills and saves a lot more money, especially during hot seasons. They use ordinary household current. So they can be connected to any household electrical outlet. Evaporative cooling system is highly efficient in both hot and dry climates.
- Minimal installation and maintenance cost: Evaporative cooler reduces both operation and maintenance cost and they do not require any extra ventilation. They can be fixed to a window. They do not need anything more than minimal seasonal maintenance. The technology behind evaporation coolers is very simple as there are fewer operating parts. However, the traditional air conditioners require regular maintenance and cleaning to keep the unit up and running.
- Evaporative cooling system filters the air effectively: This makes sure that the air is fresh and does not become musty. Evaporative cooling unit utilizes cooling pads as part of the cooling process, and these pads help in filtration of air and blocks dust and pollen. These filters cost much lesser than air conditioner filters.
- They inject moisture to the surroundings: Evaporative cooling system uses its simple cooling process to add moisture into the air, cooling your surroundings (home or office) through vaporization. This additional moisture keeps your body, household furniture from drying out. Dry air can worsen the problem of asthma and allergies. So evaporative cooling system can be highly beneficial.
- Environmental friendly: Evaporative cooling process follows a natural air-cooling method; it does not use any refrigerants like CFCs and HCFCs. It emits very low CO2 unlike traditional air conditioners. Also, if you are concerned about noise pollution, evaporative coolers are the best option for you. They operate much quieter than conventional air conditioning units, and hence they serve as apt cooling solutions for offices, bedrooms, or any other environment where you need to take care of noise levels.